HAZMAT Assessments and Remediation
The Purple Line is a planned 16-mile light rail line in Maryland that will extend from Bethesda in Montgomery County to New Carrollton in Prince George's County. It will provide a direct connection to the Metrorail Red, Green and Orange Lines; at Bethesda, Silver Spring, College Park, and New Carrollton. The Purple Line will also connect to MARC, Amtrak, and local bus services. The Maryland Transit Administration (MTA) is taking the lead on this project, with the support and close coordination of a team that includes the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority, Montgomery and Prince George's counties, the Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission, State Highway Administration, and local municipalities in the project area.
BATTA Environmental Associates is pleased to have been named the Environmental Consultant for HAZMAT Assessments and Remediation Services during the pre-construction portion of this project. Our Environmental team, which answers to the Purple Line Transit Constructors, is responsible for ensuring that all environmental concerns are dealt with properly at all sites within the 16 mile project area. The services that BATTA is responsible for performing and overseeing are as follows:
- HAZMAT Sampling, and Laboratory Analysis for Asbestos, Lead, Metals, Mold, Hydrocarbons, etc.
- Hydrocarbon Soil Testing
- Removal and On-Site Remediation of Contaminated Groundwater
- Removal and Off-Site Remediation of Asbestos Containing Material
- Removal and Off-Site Remediation of Lead-Based Paint
- Excavate and Off-Site Remediation of PCB Containing Material
- Excavataion and Off-Site Remediation of Radioactive Material
- Hazardous Building Material Assessment and Clearance Prior to Demolition
Pre-Demolition and Pre- Construction Environmental work for this project began in early 2017. The overall project is expected to be completed by the end of year 2021, with the Purple Line opening for service in early 2022. BATTA Environmental Associates is proud to have been selected as the Environmental Consultant for this project. We take pride in the ability to assist in projects like this, that will benefit so many people.